CMF will work with all staff involved with the mail to design a new mail system that meets the following objectives:
- Faster delivery of letters and e-mail to constituents: two-day turnaround of e-mail answered with e-mail form text; five-business-day turnaround of constituent letters answered with form letters; and 10 to 15 business-day turnaround of constituent letters and e-mail answered with newly-created text.
- More accurate and timely information on the status of your office's response to mail, e-mail and telephone calls (that receive a written response), which will lead to greater accountability in the system.
- Clear and effective mail policies to guide staff in writing and processing the mail.
Timeframe and Process
The first step of the process is to clarify the goals of the assessment with the Chief of Staff and Member. Then CMF gathers information by conducting interviews with all staff involved in the mail system. We will also examine the office's mail count for the past year and the current mail turnaround time, as well as flow-chart the existing mail process. In addition, the technological capabilities of your computer system can be assessed.
At the conclusion of the interviews and other research, the CMF analyst will summarize the findings and recommendations either in an informal briefing or a written final report.
Depending on the schedules of the Member and staff, we should be able to complete the assessment within 3-6 weeks.
The fee for a House mail assessment (as described above), which includes a summary of recommendations and a presentation of the findings, is $4,000 - $7,000, depending on the scope and depth of the work and whether the summary is oral or written.
The fee for a Senate mail assessment (as described above), which includes a summary of recommendations and a presentation of the findings, is $6,500 - $10,000, depending on the depth and scope of work and whether the summary is oral or written. To meet the needs of offices with less severe and fewer mail problems, there are shorter-term and less expensive options for solving mail problems available.
CMF also offers a one-day constituent mail workshop for staff for $2,500-$4,000. More Details...
If you would like further information about this service, or would like to discuss other CMF services, please contact CMF at (202-546-0100) or through our Web form. All contacts with CMF are strictly confidential.
Several characteristics distinguish CMF from other management groups. These include:
- We have been researching, writing and providing advice on the subject of congressional management since 1977.
- We have successfully worked with over one hundred House and Senate offices and provide management services that are tailored to the unique needs of congressional offices, including dozens of mail system assessments.
- Our fees are 50-90% less than standard management consulting fees. We recognize that congressional offices cannot afford to pay either private sector or executive branch consulting fees.
- As a non-profit organization, we are able to set our fees at a level that is within reach of congressional office budgets.